The LEFFTY Academy (Leaders Educating Freedom for Tomorrow’s Youth) is for high school students ages 14 to 18. Students must: have at least a 2.5 grade point average; attend a high school in Franklin County; be drug free; be a team player. The LEFFTY Academy will enable students to achieve their goals by developing their most valuable resource, their leadership skills.
A student who participates in the LEFFTY Academy could:
- be that person who guides others toward a common goal
- create an environment in which other team members feel actively involved
- be a leader who is not the boss of the team but, instead, the person that is committed to carrying out the mission of the group
- be that person who inspires others
- be part of a true team...be/she would be a LEFFTY
Students will learn the three keys to effective leadership:
- Understand people, their situations and their interactions.
- Develop experience and self-development through formal study.
- Know the leadership skills and apply them appropriately.
The LEFFTY Academy focuses on enhancing the students’ personal and developmental leadership skills at all levels. Students will attend a series of workshops and activities that will develop their critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
Students will attend the workshops listed below:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Presentation Skills
- Leadership Development
- Self Esteem
- Street Drugs
- Over the Counter Drugs
- Hepatitis A, B and C
Students will be involved in:
- creative skits (e.g.; bullying, drug-free, leadership, respect)
- leadership training
- dance and performance training
- peer mediation
- job shadowing
- career development
- effective writing
- award ceremonies
- youth conferences
- overnight camp
- fun events
We believe that a student cannot be a leader/role model without being taught the necessary skills.